This is something I’ve been thinking about posting for awhile as it’s usually my go to cake to bake. When I first started baking it I had some serious trouble finding kirsch (arguably the key ingredient). Every person I asked had no idea what I was talking about and I started thinking I’d been saying it wrong. What ensued was me giving a little spiel about how it’s a cherry liquor and how it’s used in THE black forest cake, what could be more obvious? Unfortunately that didn’t help at all. However, a few liquor shops later I finally found it and all my dreams cake true. Came true.
Every time I make it I like to change up the appearance and do something different. The recipe I was taught at Le Cordon Bleu had alternating layers of chantilly cream and chocolate creme legere – but who has time for that, am I right? So, without further ado, lets do it!
Classic Black Forest Cake Deco – audreysjl
Black Forest Cake
180°C / 35m (or until sponge is cooked)
Classic Chocolate Genoise
- Combine 4 eggs + 125g sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Set over a bain marie (basically put a pot of water on the stove with your mixing bowl over it) and just stir gently until it feels warm to touch.
- Take your mixing bowl off the stove and whisk until light and fluffy. If your mixture looks like there are large air bubbles, just slowly slowly slowly mix until it looks smooth. This will help stabilise the batter.
- Sift 100g flour + 25g cocoa powder and dump it into your whipped egg and sugar mixture.
- Fold until combined. Don’t worry if some of the air deflates. This is perfectly normal, if not good.
- Combine 300g cream + 30g sugar and whip until it comes to a soft serve consistency (i.e. slightly under).
- Heat 150g cream (microwave is fine) and dump in 100g dark chocolate. Add sugar to taste and stir until smooth.
- When cool, whip until thickens.
- Ideally, you want to combine the kirsch/juice that the griottines (macerated cherries) are soaking in with some sugar and water.
- Realistically, go buy a can or jar of soaked cherries in syrup from the supermarket. Add some sugar and kirsch to the syrup to taste.
Black Forest Assembly – audreysjl
Other Deco Inspiration
Modern Black Forest Deco – audreysjl
Modern Black Forest Cake – audreysjl
I started on Sunday arvo – the sun was beating down and I was sweating buckets. As it started to get dark I started to panic, the box was due back the following day and even with the help from my sister and mum I was no where near done.. it was taking much longer than I had anticipated. I got mad at my sister. I got mad at my mum. Then I called it quits and got up the next day
at the crack of dawn early as I could and finished.
I have to say, I’m quite happy with the end result. Yes the woman looks a little manly.. but come on, its scary to paint with black.. There’s only so many times you can wipe it off and paint it over with white before it starts to show. Anywho, that’s all for now, off to rest.
It’s been a couple weeks since I posted on here, and that’s not because I’m lazy. Since the internet got cut off, there have been numerous problems with connecting the internet in the new place. I would go into more detail but I fear I will go insane from anger and frustration! So, I can officially say that I know everything about pretty much anything that has been showing on TV. Internet on my phone or the library you say? My data allowance of 500mb went pretty quick and being in the library at 9pm is not really my thing.. Before you think, oh well it’s fixed now, let me tell you it’s not. I had no choice but to buy the ridiculously expensive add-on data on my phone. I’ve held out but there is no way I can continue to be disconnected for another couple weeks.
On another note, my sister got me a spot to paint a box a couple months ago. Thanks sis! It’s an initiative of the Urban Smart Projects people and it allows anyone to design and paint a traffic signal box – you know, those boxes you see near intersections which house electronics. There are some criteria but it is mostly free reign. Anyway, my week/s to paint have finally arrived! I have from tomorrow until the 23rd to complete my box. The design I went with was of two friends having lunch at Queen St Mall. The reason I picked this was.. well, simply because I was panicked the night before my design was due, and happened to find this picture on my phone. So here it is, will update you with the design on the real box soon.
Lunch @ Queen St Mall design